Monday 19 November 2012

Ryan The DJ

  • Name: Ryan Nair
  • Age: 25
  • Occupaton: DJ
  • Brands: 5fm






This weeks Artist Profile, we caught up with this years 5fm Ultimix winner and had a chat with him to see where he's at and how winning the Ultimix competition has changed his life.

  • Where were you born, where did you grow up
Born and raised in Durban, Kzn
  • When did your love for music start?
My love for music all began as a kid, I come from a musical family where both of my parents were members of a band in the early 80s. Growing up, I watched many music shows like "Studio mix, vibe, bassiq, sprite rush hour..etc" and listened to the radio a lot.
  • Favorite genre of music do you play?
Just to make it clear i am an open format dj so I play everything from Hip Hop, Rnb, House, Trap n a bit of 80s but my favorite genre to play is Hip Hop.
  • Who are your role models in the music industry? Artists and Djs
In the South African dj industry i look up to and respect guys like Dj Ready D and Dj Fresh simply because these guys are extremely talented, have been in the scene for a while and are still keeping things fresh. Internationally my influences are the likes of Dj Jazzy Jeff, Vice, Craze, A-Trak and the late and great Dj A.M.
  • What's the highlight of your career so far?
I've been blessed enough to have the chance to open for many international artists and other high profile djs as well as have a few t.v appearances but i think one of the biggest highlights for me was playing at the h2o party in Durban this year, the crowd was absolutely crazy and had a great vibe and appreciation for good music.
  • Tell us about The Ultimix? How has that changed things for you and where would you like to be in 5 years?
It was an absolute dream come true winning the ultimix competition! I had originally entered last year but sent my submission mix too late so it wasn't received, i had so much confidence in that mix that i sent it again this year and yeah...the rest is history i guess. Having the opportunity to play on the ultimix has been great, knowing that 5fm is a national station and that I'm reaching a broad audience has really boosted my confidence levels in what i do and off course done some great things for me career wise. Sky is the limit for me and I'm hoping for the best in the next 5 years, i'd like to say that i see myself getting into radio, production, record labels and signing new artists because these are things i would definitely enjoy doing since its keeping within my industry.
  • What can fans expect from Ryan the DJ in the near future?
Theres a lot in the pipeline, one of which is a cd release...so yup, big things coming.

There you go ladies and gentlemen, you've heard it from the man himself. He had a dream, went out and achieved it, not even the first time but he didn't quit. So if he can do it, what's stopping us?

Hit him up on:

For Bookings people can hit him up on: ryanthedjsa@gmail.com

twitter: @ryanthedj
Facebook.com/ryanthedjsa
Facebook.com/ryanthedjsa1 (fanpage) 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment